Celebrity gossip media, that which covers the latest Hollywood, music, and entertainment news, is a primarily white medium. This non-representation of famous people of color is a sad truth, and it is an ever present issue. The lives, events, and gossip surrounding of famous people of color tend to go under reported by the largest gossip sites, thus withholding , or simply never reporting on, captivating news story that the urban community are interested in.
While this is a common frustration for those seeking out urban news, it should be known that there are specific black news websites that fill this very void. These websites will report on the latest and trending stories regarding urban, black entertainment, and black gossip news. These black news websites will similarly discuss national news events as they pertain to the urban communities, reporting on current news in reference to the black experience and opinion.
The largest topics that these black news websites cover are the topics of black gossip and black celebrities. In response to televised gossip shows and other celebrity gossip websites, this is for good reason too.
Black entertainment is an extremely popular area of media consumption among all races within America. For reference, consider the influence of black media on the whole of the media industry, particularly within the music industry. Popular music has seen a great deal of influence arrive from black and African culture (more so than European classical music): consider the influence of African rhythms on 20th and 21st century percussion, delta blues on rock and roll, 1920s American jazz on RandB and big band music, disco on modern pop music, Afrofuturism/Afrocentrism on both progressive and hip hop music, and the overall influence of rap music today (which represent $500 billion worth of spending power per year). Black news websites present up-to-date news and opinions upon these matters, and the ever-present influence of artists in the modern age of entertainment.
For all of its under-representation in popular media, black entertainment has brought unique influences and ingenuity to media en masse. Similarly, there are performers and celebrities that deserve attention, for they are some of the most popular celebrities among their mediums of entertainment. Consider:
- Floyd Mayweather, the undefeated boxer (50 wins – 0 losses), earned the most among all celebrities in both 2014 and 2015, earning $300 million per year
- Beyonce and Jay-Z, one of the most successful female music artists of all time and one of the most successful urban rappers and entrepreneurs of all time, have an estimated net worth of $450 million and $650 million, for a collective wealth of over $1 billion
- Oprah Winfrey’s television show, which aired from 1986 to 2011, appeared on over 120 television channels and grossed $125 million just in it’s first year
- Will Smith, rapper, actor, and producer, has been one of Hollywood’s highest paid actors for years, with almost every film he appears in grossing over $100 million
- Tyra Banks, television personality, businesswoman, and model, was the first African american to be featured on the cover of GQ (1996), cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue (1996), and Victoria’s Secret lingerie catalog.
Whereas common Hollywood media sites might not report on these people at length, black news websites will represent them — as deserved, illuminating their celebrity and the importance of their influence on the whole of media.