The latest entertainment trends indicate that there continues to be a need for programs that cater to some very specific audiences. And while the majority of mainstream television and radio shows cater to a wider audience, there is a thriving market that specializes in the latest celebrity gossip and Hollywood news about African Americans. From Oprah and her huge entertainment empire to much lesser known performers, there are a number of gossip sites that cater to this very specific set of performers and their audiences.
Consider some of these facts and figures about past and current African American performers and athletes who have a huge following:
- Floyd Mayweather was the highest celebrity earner, with an annual income of $300 million in 2014-2015.
- A Harvard Business School study in 2011 concluded that signing a big-name endorser spurs a 0.25% increase in stock returns and increases a company’s sale by $10 million a year.
- More than 45 million African-Americans live in the U.S., according to Census Bureau data. This number represents about 15% of the nation’s population.
- Oprah Winfrey is a perfect example of success. In fact, The Oprah Winfrey Show aired for 25 seasons, from the year 1986 to the year 2011. The show grossed $125 million by the end of its first year, of which Winfrey received $30 million, with its placement on 120 channels and an audience of 10 million people.
- Unilke his previous late night show, Davide Letterman takes a new approach on his latest interview show format. Most recently, he interviewed Jay-Z, an artist who recently earned his 11th number one album on the Billboard 200 with The Blueprint 3. With this latest achievement, Jay-Z beat out Elvis, for the record of most number one albums by a solo artist.
- Statistics show that 6.94 million people in America visited RandB, rap, and hip-hop concerts within a period of 12 months prior to the spring of 2008.
FAMOUS people always draw a crowd, but it is important to know that there is often a market for a very specific kind of entertainment. For instance, Black Entertainment Television (BET) is viewed in more than 90 million homes worldwide. In fact, as of the year 2010 BET was the most prominent television network targeting the young black-American audience and was the leading provider of black American entertainment and cultural based latest entertainment programming. From athletes to politicians to actors, many people want to know all of the latest news about their favorite stars. Finding a website, news channel, or a print publication that features your interests is one of the best ways to make sure that you are in the know about the latest entertainment news and gossip.