There are many types of cosmetic procedures that are popular all over the world. From Botox to chemical peels, microdermabrasion and laser hair removal or mole removal, people go to the doctor to not just feel better but to look better as well. If you are having a mole removal surgery, there are things you can do to prevent scarring afterwards. Here are a few of them:
- Follow your doctor’s instructions to the letter. They are given to you for a reason. Any time you have any size of mole removed, there is a chance you can be left with a scar. Your doctor will give you a list of things you can do after your mole removal surgery to prevent any scarring and you need to pay attention to those instructions. This will include a check up appointment after the operation.
- Eat a healthy diet. It may not seem that what you eat and drink will impact scarring after a mole removal procedure but it does. Your skin is a good reflection of how healthy you are. When you are healthy, your skin is better able to bounce back from any kind of trauma. Any surgery on your skin (or elsewhere) is traumatic to the body. Your skin will be able to recover from any procedure you have performed on it when you eat a more healthy and balanced diet. This includes drinking enough water and staying properly hydrated. Getting the right vitamins, minerals and omega 3 fatty oils will help your body and skin recover. If your diet does not have these things in it already, you should add citrus fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and olive oil to your diet.
- Make sure the wound area is kept clean. This is something your doctor will emphasize the importance of keeping the wound area as clean as you can after the mole removal procedure. One easy way to do this is to use hydrogen peroxide. Take a cotton ball and moisten it with hydrogen peroxide. Lightly press the cotton ball to the wound area. This reduces the inflammation and will get rid of any bacteria or dirt that has gotten into the wound.
- Use a good moisturizer. Before your mole removal procedure and after, you need to use a good moisturizer on your skin. This is something you should get into the habit of doing on a regular basis. Whenever you have any cosmetic procedure done, moisturizing the area is an important thing to do. Well moisturized skin can resist scarring. After you have your mole removal, you should wait until a scab has formed to put moisturizer on the area.
- Get some decent cream for scar prevention. There are a lot of creams out there that can be used to prevent the development of scars. If you want to get the best one for you, you should ask your dermatologist. Many people also benefit from using vitamin E on the affected area. You can buy the capsules and open them to remove the gel and place that over scabs to prevent them from turning into scars. Use your cream up to three times every day for about three months or as has been recommended by your physician.
- Stay out of the sun. You may not think your mole removal surgery is a big deal but you need to take your recovery seriously. To prevent the formation of a scar after the procedure, you should keep out of the sun. The UV rays from the sun can be very damaging to your skin and can increase the chances that you will wind up with a scar. You should have a regimen of using a powerful sunscreen anyway but this is even more important after some cosmetic procedures such as a mole removal.
- Give yourself a break. For at least a few weeks after your procedure, you should take some time off from going to the gym. This may be a small surgery but it is still surgery and your body needs time to recover. The gym can wait a few weeks. When you engage in strenuous activity, you run the risk of opening up your wound, which is never good.